How does the iono.fm advertising platform work?
iono.fm is a digital audio platform. We provide technology to insert audio ads into the podcasts or audio stream being listened to. We are able to run campaigns based on a set number of listens at an agreed rate per listen.
Price per listen is determined by various factors like the kind of audience and how much inventory is available in that category.
At a high level:
- Our AdTech currently does automatic podcast top and tail ad inserts (or combinations thereof.)
- Stream ads are delivered as pre-rolls to listeners on our embedded players.
- Campaigns are run based on the number of ads to deliver and the period in which it needs to run e.g. 15 000 ads delivered between 15 Feb and end March at a budget of R8 000.
- Until DSP integration is released we work with Insertion Orders which specifies the content to target and the price per impression. We do provide direct access to real time reports on campaign progress.
- Depending on audience type and affluence, audio ads in SA typically sell between 25c and R1.00 per play/download which is in line with international prices for campaigns sold directly. Our floor price for SA is 20c.
- Our platform fee is 18% of the ad sales price. Our ad sales partner percentage is normally 25% and the content publisher gets the remaining 57%. If the content publisher sells the ad and wants to use our ad tech to deliver it we only charge the 18% platform fee, down to a minimum of 3.6c per ad delivered.
- Targeting is currently done via the content and selected countries to deliver in. (In other words, you would select the podcast shows or the stream audience that most closely represents your target demographic and then limit the ads to be delivered in the countries you want to operate in.)
- If the ad runs in one of our players we can also include a companion banner and hyperlink that shows as the ad plays. This is normally done at an extra 15% of the price of the audio ad.
- When we trigger a campaign, our software automatically attaches the ad to older relevant episodes so that listeners get the latest ad irrespective of how old the podcast episode is.
- Minimum campaign budget is R5000 per publisher included.
- Note that all external campaigns are on an opt-in basis. Targeted providers will receive information on the campaign and then decide if they opt in or decline to participate.
As a radio station or podcaster, how do I run an ad campaign on my own stream or podcast content?
- Log in as an admin user, look at your usage reports and determine how many impressions you have available in the countries you want to run the ads. You will then subtract the amount of ads you’ve already sold on your content. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to check.)
- Decide at what price you want to sell your content.
- Once you’ve sold the campaign instruct us to set it up and run it. We will need:
- Ad creative (audio) -Top (preferably less than 15 seconds especially on sub 7.5 mins episodes) and tail (generic 30s ad)
- The podcast channels to run it on
- Start and end date
- Countries to target
- Price per ad (used for working out the platform fee)
- Number of ads to run
- Optional: Companion banner: A 320- by 50-pixel banner (and optionally a 300x250 pixel banner) optionally with a description and click-through link.
- We will set the campaign up, programmatically insert the ads into podcasts including older episodes and run it on your behalf. You will get access to the campaing report so that you can monitor progress.
- At the end of every month we will invoice the provider the 18% platform portion of the impressions delivered in the preceding month.
As an advertiser, how do I run campaigns across multiple providers on iono.fm?
Feel free to contact email@example.com for more information. To expedite the process try to provide us with as much of the following information as possible:
- The name of the brand and the type of ad you want to run.
- The target audience
- Do you already have preferred publishers that you’d like to run the campaign on? (Here is a list of popular providers https://iono.fm/browse/providers?sort_by=popular. Please note that not everyone makes their inventory generally available and sometimes the inventory may also be booked out. We will be able provide you with this information based on your requirements.)
- An estimated and initial indication of budget
- An estimated and initial indication of the start date and campaign duration.
Based upon this we can provide you information on available inventory and recommended channels to place it on.